Meeting The Next Generation Science Standards
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are K–12 science content standards. Standards set expectations for what students should know and be able to do. The NGSS were developed by states to improve science education for all students.
A key goal for developing NGSS was to create a set of research-based, up-to-date K–12 standards. These standards give local educators the flexibility to design classroom learning experiences that stimulate students’ interests in science and prepares them for college, careers, and citizenship.
At any point in a district’s implementation of NGSS, EDU Consulting LLC designs professional learning opportunities that are specially-tailored for all school/district stakeholders. We provide face-to-face and virtual trainings to build a deeper understanding of the key philosophical design of and pedagogical strategies to engage student learners in becoming scientifically literate citizens.
Differentiated instruction is based on an NGSS Implementation Pathway Model developed in 2014 by John Spiegel and Kim Bess, San Diego County Office of Education, in collaboration with Yamileth Shimojyo, Riverside COE and Anthony Quan, Los Angeles COE.
Initial Exposure to NGSS
- Conceptual shifts and implications for teaching and learning
- Three dimensions of NGSS
- Anatomy and architecture of NGSS
- Research and resources for further study and information
Deepening Understanding of NGSS
- Model 3-dimensional instruction—what teaching and learning look like in NGSS
- Understanding the Science and Engineering Practices and Crosscutting Concepts as they relate to the “doing” of science and “how we think” about science, respectively
- Identification of performance task assessment that aligns to NGSS Performance Expectations
Planning Instruction Around NGSS
- Increase awareness and understanding of grade- level/subject area Performance Expectations
- Application of prior knowledge and new learnings to modify and align traditional lessons to NGSS
- Understand and apply the research-based 5E Inquiry Model to pedagogical practice
- Identify and describe a performance task that could be used in the classroom to assess student performance and understanding around a performance expectation or multiple performance expectations
Full Alignment of Instruction to NGSS
- Implement formative and summative assessments aligned to NGSS
- Create curriculum maps or curriculum guides
- Review and select NGSS-aligned instructional materials