#31- Remembering Our Heroes
Paying Your Respects on Memorial Day
Across our nation on this Memorial Day weekend, families will enjoy barbecues, pool parties, and scrumptious picnics. For many of us in education, Memorial Day marks the official start of our summer break, a time to reflect on the year’s accomplishments and to recharge our body batteries in preparation for a new academic year.
The real meaning of Memorial Day, though, is to remember and honor the men and women of the armed forces who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country in defending our freedom.
With this holiday right around the corner, there are many ways you and your family can incorporate the true meaning of Memorial Day, while still celebrating family togetherness.
Consider one of these ways to pay your respects on this important national holiday:
- Attend a Memorial Day event that honors our fallen soldiers
- Place flowers or a flag on a hero’s gravesite
- Volunteer with a local veterans organization to express your appreciation for their service to our country
- Send a card or care package to soldiers locally or overseas
- Share a personal memory of a loved one you have lost
This Memorial Day, don’t lose sight of the sacrifices made by our military heroes. As you enjoy good food, family and friends to begin your summer, take a few quiet moments to think about and be thankful for the many lives that have made a lasting impression on your own.
Stay healthy and safe, Dean